Friday, July 06, 2007

God,Fortune Cookies, and Bottle Tops

This is a fun and , hopefully, informative post. My mom believes and has always taught my sisters and I that God can speak threw anything and anyone. For example Moses and the fire bush, the talking donkey in the bible. For the past 4 or 5 years my mom has this thing with fortune cookies. She doesn't use the lottery numbers on the cookie paper and she has never believed the fortune cookies for more than a good laugh. Starting about 5 years ago she noticed the fortune cookies that she would receive seemed to be "speaking" to her. At the time my mom had been mulling over and actively speaking to God on matters of her personal and professional life. She had also started to feel frustrated about these matters. She and I had prayed about some of this and went out for Chinese one afternoon. We finish up and opened our fortune cookies and, I forget what the fortune was, but my mom started crying. She wasn't crying because the cookie told her she would meet the man of her dreams that day or find success, but it had encouraging words. Words that fit her situation to a T. This has continued to happen on and off for the past couple years to the point that we find it humorous. Where am I going with this? Well a friend of ours,Mimi, is moving and she knows how much my son G loves her son's Jeep. Her son does NOT like the Jeep. So she figured this would be a great time to give this to G. My son was so ecstatic!! He looked like he was going to explode with excitement. He ate breakfast,lunch, and dinner in HIS Jeep the whole next day. It was so evident that Mimi's gift meant the world to him. It really impacted him. I was sitting out back, watching G ride around in the Jeep, and sipping my favorite bottled tea, Honest Tea. They always have fun little quotes and sayings on the bottle top. So, I read my bottle top that day and I fell in love with what it said. It was a quote from Albert Price, "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Wow. I just pondered that. Mimi's gift to G impacted him so positively. He will remember it and treasure it forever, at least in memory. The great people of the Bible and the world have been people that adhere to the quote from Albert Price.
Was it God "speaking" to me through the bottle cap? I think he was encouraging me and reminding me. We all should strive everyday to see God moving, speaking, or sending fortune cookies, you just never know how God is trying to get your attention. :)

No comments: